I know with everything going on this year, some of us may want to give back rather than spend money on material items this holiday season. In the wake of the brutal killings of Ahmaud Arbery, George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and far too many others, America is facing a wreckoning of the systems of white supremacy and institutionalized racism. There are many amazing charitable organizations fighting this fight day in day out, carrying out this tireless work, and if you are able, they could really use your support.
This is not an exhaustive list, so feel free to pick an organization that resonates with you. The Black and larger BIPOC and similarly marginalized communities that intersect the BIPOC community (womxn, LGBTQIA+, and more) deserve our support and reparations now more than ever. If you are interested in doing your own research, I would suggest checking out Charity Navigator or Guidestar – these are two resources I utilize in my day job in the philanthropy sector to vet charities and research their missions, programs, boards, and more.
- Black Lives Matter Global Network fiscally sponsored by Tides Center – EIN: 94-3213100
- Know Your Rights Camp Legal Defense Initiative fiscally sponsored by Entertainment Industry Foundation – EIN: 95-1644609
- Emergent Fund fiscally sponsored by Amalgamated Charitable Foundation, Inc. – EIN: 82-1517696
- We The Protesters, Inc., DBA Campaign Zero – EIN: 81-3764408
- The Loveland Foundation – EIN: 83-3421375
- NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund – EIN:13-1655255
- Equal Justice Initiative – EIN: 63-1135091
- Black Youth Project – EIN: 47-4435527
- Color of Change Education Fund – EIN: 45-5569879
- Race Forward – EIN: 94-2759879
I hope this list is a launching place for you to consider giving back to organizations focused on supporting the BIPOC community this holiday season if you feel called. If you have questions, please let me know and I am happy to help 🙂